Today, my mother gave me a gift that she and my father planned to give me down the road. I never expected that I'd receive it at such a young age, but as I look at this special ring my father gave my mother, I have so many feelings...complex ones. This ring belongs on my Mother's hand, not mine, but by God's choice or allowance it is now resting on my ring finger. The stone, as shiny as a star, almost startles me as I look into it, feeling I could almost see my father if I look far enough. It is resting next to my wedding band at the moment, reminding me of my parents and their marriage. It reminds me of the struggles they faced, the laughter they shared and the lives they fully gave. The first man that I loved gave this to his wife, and now I it resides next to the ring my husband gave me.
It reminds me to never take my marriage for granted. Every day is sacred. It teaches me that lives are temporary, rings are passed down, but love is forever. The stone is a symbol of all that, and much more. I joked to my mom that it would happily sit in a safe until I felt I could "be trusted" to wear it. When I put it on, though, it came to life to me in these ways. My father, who rarely splurged on anything but cars, (seriously :) ), put a lot of thought into this ring. He picked out the stone himself and it deserves to be enjoyed. My mother took off this ring because she is ready to let it go. I am putting it on to honor just that - our future, and their/our past. A wonderful man who was brilliant, ambitious, HARD working, charming, charismatic and as soft as a teddy bear at the end. He is missed moment by moment and day by day, and remembered fondly forever.
My favorite picture of them
Yes, that's his blackberry! He never put it down, so it's in a frame as an embodiment of his love and work!
Look at that young man!!
Precious family.
We planted the white ones this morning - my mom has done a beautiful job!




6 comments:
Really sweet... my eyes watered. That's so neat they have a bark park in his memory.
So sweet...and thanks for sharing. It's great to be reminded to treasure each day we have. Much love to you, your mom, and your whole family.
Oh, gosh, Jamie. This made me cry! You did a great job of portraying your emotions through your words. :) What a neat gift - and how sweet to know this plan was made when your parents were still together on earth. Don't waste a moment of guilt in wearing that ring. You know your daddy's looking down with pride!
Omg, what a sweet post. I have chills. That is so special. That has to be so hard for you. I tok my grandmothers ring and had the center stone reset into a vintage piece and I love it so much. I reminds me of her everytime I look down. What a great way to write your feelings!
So sweet Jamie. I know you will cherish that ring! So special.
So sweet. It made me cry too.
Post a Comment